Sex Is a Funny Word: A Book about Bodies, Feelings, and YOU
Cory Silverberg and Fiona Smyth
The eagerly anticipated follow up to Lambda-nominated What Makes a Baby, from sex educator Cory Silverberg and artist Fiona Smyth, Sex Is a Funny Word reimagines "sex talk" for the twenty-first century.
A comic book for kids that includes children and families of all makeups, orientations, and gender identities, Sex Is a Funny Word is an essential resource about bodies, gender, and sexuality for children ages 8 to 10 as well as their parents and caregivers. Topics covered include:
- What is sex?
- Privacy, safety, and respect
- Boundaries regarding nudity, talking about sex, and touch
- Assigned sex, gender identity, and gender roles
- Names and functions of body parts
- Talking about the word “sexy”
- Protecting yourself against unwanted sexual touch and abuse
- Crushes, love, and sexy feelings
Much more than the "facts of life" or “the birds and the bees," Sex Is a Funny Word opens up conversations between young people and their caregivers in a way that allows adults to convey their values and beliefs while providing information about boundaries, safety, and joy.
Sex Is a Funny Word is the first sex education book for this age group that is inclusive of lesbian, gay, and bisexual experience as well as gender creative and gender nonconforming children.
2016 STONEWALL HONOR BOOK
2016 RAINBOW BOOK LIST